QTS has experienced significant growth over the past 10 years, going from a single data center in 2005 to a coast-to-coast portfolio of 12 data centers encompassing more than 4.7 million square feet. To ensure continued provision of leading-edge services and optimal performance from its newly acquired facility, QTS required improved cooling system efficiency and greater visibility into system performance. An upgrade of fans and controls, utilizing the latest in cooling technology, was warranted to maintain cooling stability, improve efficiency, and reduce costs.
- Earned a $150,000 rebate by partnering with Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Initially saved $12,000 per month in energy costs and expect additional savings with continued system optimization
- Reduced carbon footprint with more than 75 percent immediate reduction in the energy consumption of Liebert thermal management units
- Improved Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) by 0.16
- Provided better intelligence to building management system (BMS) for improved system visibility
- Improved uniformity of under floor static pressure enabling adjustment of air flow to match equipment loads by changing floor tiles
- Eliminated air leakage through cooling units that were previously off or in standby via the Liebert iCOM control’s proprietary virtual damper
- Exceeded minimum ROI estimates by 40 percent and achieved targeted savings sooner than budgeted
- Maximized free cooling through improved unit airflow and cooling control
“QTS is committed to continued investment in our facilities in order to provide industry-leading infrastructure as exemplified by our recent cooling system upgrade. It ultimately enhances our ability to provide the efficiency, reliability and flexibility that our customers have come to expect.”
- Ken Elkington, Vice President, Western Region
|Products and Services:
||Emerson’s Liebert® Services installed electrically commutated (EC) fans and Liebert iCOM™ control systems into 64 cooling units, and provided and installed wireless sensors for monitoring of cooling improvements.
||QTS sought to achieve energy efficiency goals that would deliver enough cost savings to yield a full return on investment (ROI) in 2.5 years. The company also desired advanced monitoring capabilities for continued best-practice data center management.
Read more about the QTS case study.